Thursday, August 09, 2007

K'vetsh in August

I do love this literary reading and tonight is a big crowd for Heathen and Zara Thustra, so I might as well blog it. Also, my leg hurts a lot tonight but I don't want to go home yet, so blogging is a way of concentrating on something other than my annoying body. A fine trick - I recommend it.

The hill here on Mariposa is forbiddingly steep and difficult for a wheelchair and I could not do it alone. So my car is parked up that hill! Eeep!

Meliza kicks off! Mexico City visiting the map and multiplying x times y. 66 poem or prose poem series. Sarah Dopp is reading! Awesome recitation of long poem! "I lost it slowly..." Jon Longhi now reading short piece... "When Chaos was in college he steered away from all earthly possessions... ... and whenever Chaos jerked off, he used it as a come rag." Heh! I lost track of what the thing was, but it was pinned with a thumbtack to a poster of Jesus. Then, pants on fire while on the toilet, stoned! Oh, Jon. Our MCs go on and on about "My Dumps" by Peaches which I can testify is great, but first you must watch "My Humps" video AND the My Humps cover/parody by Alanis Morisette which Peaches parodies. Emchy reads from fabulous new chapbook which I have a copy of (just got it have not read it.) Tara Jepsen and Michelle Tea go on about the TV show "The Wire". I love Tara's comedy.... and the couple of short films I've seen. She and Michelle's energy is good... Featured reader now, Zara Thustra. Who is dressed and tattooed very charmingly... Sabina reads her autobiographical piece on gay "halfghans. alvin orloff. novel excerpt. I could just keep listening to Alvin's story of Martine and her fans in the dive bar in the Tenderloin... Oh no, Emchy's heart pen is missing! We ahve a pen thief. There is a band local called Lesbians. (Really?) ONe more open mic... Carrie or Keri... with a long thing in the voice of a "Minnesota woman" whose husband leaves her. It was sort of dull but that was the point I guess. Heathen Machinery reads! Ways to kill the baby! Awesome. Pulling the belly button thing off with a pop like a can of Schlitz. Poisonous dog poop safety pin injection! Rad. I am very happy as everyone in the room is squicked. The crib bars and the dildos! OMG THE AWESOME! Her aunt and chihuaha and collecting sand dollars. Also strangely disturbing. Another story of her and her cousin and their playing "house" and stuffing dwarf oranges up their nostrils. Then, the wedding and imagined "You!" declaration. Heathen is excellent! No wonder there is a crowd. And lo, it was not all hypeass smoke & mirrors.

Nico reads with a disclaimer about using this reading as motivation (failed) to write some new poems. The piece Nico is reading is more prosy sounding to me. Indians and Pilgrims at Thanksgiving dinner and having a hamburger in some deli... Our MCs do a thing about "Massholes" and Massachusettes and trashy moms fistfighting and mini golf courses on Route 1...

Charlie Anders reads a very hilarious personal ad email. Justin read about penguins, vultures, and love... Fran reads a good poetryish-in-places story about dyke bars.

We ducked out before the end - It was running very late!

Digg this

No comments: