Sunday, March 25, 2007

SuperHappyDevHouse: Serial enthusiasm

I'm at SuperHappyDevHouse cussing up a storm as my wireless connection goes in and out. I've been messing with Kayuda, with Pipes a little, writing up notes, and talking with people who are all showing me nifty software. I just tagged about a dozen mindmapping and brainstorming apps in del.icio.us from my conversations with Ben Suter and David Montgomery. Tried a few of them... Ben showed me his Narrator software, which does something mysterious with architecture mapping and has a component that generates diagrams that then can be viewed as 3-D models. But with a mindmap-like interface, drawing and defining links between objects. When I got him into trying Kayuda he squeaked with glee.

Tantek and I talked briefly about wiki gardening. I also got into a conversation in the line for the bathroom (before I discovered the secret bathroom) about it. As more and more people get into wikis, as they have been doing with blogs, we'll need more and better wiki gardening tools. I need them right now for multiple wiki platforms, and I don't have them, and I don't think anyone does. I wonder if there will be interesting visual representations of wikis as networks, and ways to fiddle with that, and better batch editing of wiki pages, and ways to run stats that will hook straight into wiki manipulation and administration tools. This could also have a crucial social and community component; ways of representing stories about the ways people are interacting, patterns and clusters of interaction exposed could give ways to deal with problems of group dynamics that arise on wikis big and small. A bunch of people talked with me tonight about throttling down the speed of web interaction, adding limits to the volume people can contribute, maybe especially toning down "noisy" people, adding "friction" -- same stuff Kaliya Hamlin was talking about at SXSWi.

A ton of people are here from startup school. They're all starry eyed right now so it must have been some super powerful koolaid over there.

Whump and I and Les Orchard were talking about people who are serial enthusiasts. (Us.) We love some nifty new software for a week and talk about it all over the place and blog it and poke it and then run off after something else. I wonder what our actual rate of new-software-adoption to "ooo shiny". I accused whump of feeding me a constant stream of interesting new things and of knowing everything about new stuff AND actually using a high percentage of it and knowing it in more depth than people who burble about shiny new things usually know. He denies this and feels ashamed of his inability to adopt all nifty software orphans. Les says he is known for being the person to ask if anyone wants to know, "Hey, is there a Web 2.0 company that does X thing?" and he always knows, because for a while he was reading 1000 feeds. That's what happens if you snap your achilles tendon while getting off the bus. I pointed out that "evangelist" might not stay in vogue forever as a job title, because the oo shiny people who get hired for that, well, if you're that way, can you possibly sustain that feeling about a single product for years? So we all three were sitting here wishing there was a job for serial enthusiasts, who are maybe an intersection with early adopters. My theory is that there are people who have excellent "nifty filters" and are tormented because they recognize niftiness unusually well, so well that they notice the potential and niftiness of so many things that it's not humanly possible for them to use all of those things. This might also be seen as (or might be) sluttiness, or a lack of discrimination and ability to recognize what's truly nifty and useful as well as the lack of going deeply into those things. Perhaps both qualities combine to make the deepest serial enthusiasts. A level of quick insight and holistic grasp of possibility is good, as well as the ability to generate different idea-pathways quickly, like a chess player foreseeing future developments. Whether or not that sort of person is useful in the real world, I value that quality in people.

(Somewhere in here I looked at Rohit's Angstro thingie, challenged a bit of the "what would be useful" concept of it, marvelled at Plasma Pong's silliness and beauty, and talked to a dude who's part of a Linux TV company which I've forgotten the name of but he was screaming with delight about Angela (?) something, his CEO, who rocks and is an enormous genius, and how they're a tiny quiet company that is about to take over the world; and at Eric Tiedemann's Monome tuning application which he nicely explained to me though he could barely contain being appalled that I didn't know anything about the mathematics of tuning; and I started installing Planet Venus on my server, and then went on an extended bitter rant to Whump about how and why nowhere ever exports me a decent opml file, or imports it right, and all my effort is lost when I switch platforms or accounts, so I've become disheartened about feed readers. Whump had a neat setup that he promised to write up later in his blog, with Planet Venus running every once in a while and then pushing up to a server. Later in the night, I looked at the sort of messy tangle I made on Kayuda and I think that it's not a good representation, and it might not even be useful, and I wonder how to restructure it so that it would be. Strict limitations on number of nodes to convey a central idea, with baroque flourishes and digressions allowed in a sort of overlay? )

I can't believe how many people are crammed into this house. It's nuts. But I have the feeling I don't want to leave... it's all cosy... I have a spot on a couch... the network is working again so I'm all happy. I have contradictory impulses to go talk with people and then on the other hand to lurk on the irc channels and "talk" the way normal people do, on the internet, without this weird "moving your mouth" or "looking at people in the face" component to it.


Some dude came up to me and said "This is your house, right?" "No... why do you ask?" "Because... uh... because you're cool?" I think that was either meant to be several layers of irony more than it came off as, or else he was a bit drunk...

Okay, it *was* all cosy until I read some really gross and annoying posts on Valleywag about SHDH and women. At least there are nice people like whump and cyn and Ben and Tracy. That don't make a person feel like there's women who count as human, and other women who don't, and as if there are only a few slots for the humans and a perpetual struggle to prove oneself worthy, and the perpetual need to represent for one's entire gender... at all times... It's a bad way to set up a frame for the universe. I get so pissed off reading stuff like that and want to respond in kind, or at least by regendering it or being "funny" right back by objectifying guys, which doesn't work anyway because the power dynamics are different. Anyway, grrrrr.

My uncle just got home - he went to the Mermen show at 12 Galaxies and loved it and also loved the Extraordinaires. Maybe I should have cut out early from shdh when I stopped being productive, and gone to the show.







Technorati Tags: ,

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there. I'm glad you had such a good time.

I haven't been able to find the Valleywag posts you complained about (I think?) but I assume they were about groupieism.

I've sometimes been on the "i'm just here to gawk at the cool demos and the cool hackers" end of the spectrum myself, but I seem to get more of a free pass on that, maybe due to having a penis. I don't know how to solve the problem of patriarchy; not participating in it and not approving of it aren't sufficient as answers when it's as subtle as giving some guy a pass for not contributing as much technical content as maybe he could.